Inserting soft contact lenses
If you have never put contact lenses in before, it’s a good idea to drop in to your local OPSM store where a team member can show you how to do it. We offer free in-store contact lens trials, so you can experience them first hand.
- Wash hands and dry them using a lint-free towel
- Place the contact lens on the tip of your index finger (which should be no wetter than your eye or the contact lens) and tuck your other fingers out of the way
- Look slightly across your nose in the mirror
- Drag your bottom eyelid down with your middle finger
- Place the contact lens on the sclera (white part of the eye) with the bottom edge of the contact lens touching first (the angle the contact lens is placed on your finger is crucial)
- Press firmly and then release your eyelid
- Massage the contact lens into place through the lids or blink a couple of times.
If you’re having trouble, try practising touching the white part of the eye without a contact lens a few times before inserting the lens. If you find that your contact lens is folding over, it means you are blinking before the contact lens has settled, in which case you may want to try holding your top eyelid too.
Once your lenses are in place, wipe their case with multi-purpose solution and leave it to air-dry. You should replace the case every three months.