EYE HEALTH FACTS
MORE ON EYE AM HEALTHY
7 AMAZING FACTS ABOUT THE HUMAN EYE
They’re the window to our soul projecting the world to our mind, but how much do we really know about our eyes? Considering how intrinsic they are to our day-to-day lives, it’s remarkable how much mystery surrounds the human eye.
To help you comprehend how interesting this complex organ is, we’ve pulled together 7 amazing facts about eyes that may surprise you:
- 20/20 Vision
- Having 20/20 vision isn't the same thing as having "perfect" vision. * Meaning you can read at 20 feet a symbol/letter that most human beings should be able to read at 20 feet.”. If you can see further than this, you have better than 20/20 vision, and this is very common.
- Tetrachromatic Vision
- Some women can have a genetic mutation, which causes them to see millions more colours. ** It’s a phenomenon known as tetrachromatic vision that allows around 2% of women to perceive 100 million colours instead of 1 million like most people.
- Vision problems are avoidable
- 80% of vision problems worldwide are avoidable or even curable. † If you’re reading this, there’s a good chance you’ve identified some issues with your eyes, but many people in the world are unaware their eyes aren’t functioning perfectly or do not have access to appropriate care.
- Eyes and sunburn
- Your eyes can get sunburned. ‡ Just like skin, your eyes are sensitive to UV rays, so make sure they’re protected whenever possible.
- Moving parts of eyes
- Eyes are made up of more than 2 million working parts. ^ They’re far from simple and there’s a lot going on behind the scenes!
- Blue eyes
- All blue-eyed people share the same ancestor. ^^ 10,000 years ago, everyone’s eyes were brown until someone living by the Black Sea developed a genetic mutation that made their eyes blue.
- Brown eyes
- Brown eyes are actually blue underneath the brown pigment. # There’s even a laser procedure to turn brown eyes blue permanently, but we think your brown eyes look perfect just the way they are!
If you want to learn more about your eyes and ensure you’re seeing as clearly as possible, make sure you book to have an eye-test in store. Our optometrists might have a few tidbits to share as well.
Book an eye test
MORE ON EYE HEALTH
* Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/20/eye-facts_n_4441884.html
** Source: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1399-0004.2004.00343.x/abstract;jsessionid=F7FC34AE3A5F20037BD660D83754868E.f03t03?systemMessage=Wiley+Online+Library+will+be+disrupted+on+7th+March+from+10%3A00- 13%3A00+GMT+%2805%3A00-08%3A00+EST%29+for+essential+maintenance.++Apologies+for+the+inconvenience.&userIsAuthenticated=false&deniedAccessCustomisedMessage
† Source: https://www.vsp.com/eyes.html
‡ Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/20/eye-facts_n_4441884.html
^ Source: http://list25.com/25-crazy-facts-about-your-eyes/5/
^^ Sources: http://mentalfloss.com/article/30795/5-signs-humans-are-still-evolving
# Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2074243/New-laser-surgery-turns-brown-eyes-blue-critics-say-reckless-vanity.html